Steinkamp Warehouse, Inc.
Steinkamp Home Center has been serving the Dubois County Area for almost 150 years. We take great pride in our current services and products, but tribute our success to our humble beginnings and the skills, dedication, and support of our employees, customers, and community.
Steinkamp’s as we know it today can trace its roots back to the late 1840’s, when Frederick Steinkamp immigrated to Holland, Indiana from Germany and started a blacksmith shop. Frederick’s shop can officially be found “on the record” starting in 1885, although it is believed to have been started earlier.
Frederick’s son, Herman Steinkamp, took an interest in the business and expanded into selling buckles, harnesses, and other agricultural-related items, also in Holland, Indiana.
Pictured L to R: Ruth Steinkamp, Hugo Steinkamp, Jr., Hugo Steinkamp Sr. Hugo Steinkamp, Jr. was an only child.
This addition provided an excellent segue into the agricultural industry and at the turn of the century, the father-son duo expanded into the fertilizer business and would travel via wagon farm-to-farm selling their product. It was at this point Hugo Steinkamp, Sr. became involved in the business and two warehouses were established: one in St. Henry and the other in Huntingburg, Indiana.
In 1930, Steinkamp Agri-Supply moved from the outskirts of Huntingburg to the center of town. With this new central location, the St. Henry store was phased out and the Holland store was shuttered upon the passing of Herman Steinkamp.
County roads improved and farmers began to pick up their own loads. Steinkamp’s focus shifted purely to agricultural supply and a feed mill was also added to the business.
Hugo Steinkamp, Jr. like his father before him, joined the family business in 1958. Not much more than a decade later, he founded what is now our current Lumber Yard when he noticed a gap in the market while building his own home.
Original fertilizer sack dated 2/12/1906.
Depicts Hugo Steinkamp, Sr. and the location of his original business.
In 1972, Steinkamp’s moved to the location it is in today - An old Chevy dealer right across the street from the previous location. It’s at this time that the business committed to making the jump to wholesale building materials while maintaining the already existing fertilizer business. Not long after in 1978, a pressure treated wood operation was incorporated.
Scott Steinkamp joined the business in 1985 and expanded into the retail sector. The showroom was added and a new focus was placed on the DIY customer. Steinkamp’s became the one-stop-shop for anything a new or remodeled home could need.
Picture of the chevy dealer that was converted into Steinkamp Warehouse’s current office and showroom.
Newspaper article dated 7/26/87 discussing the expanded showroom
Pictured L to R: Scott Steinkamp, Hugo Steinkamp Jr., Pat Steinkamp
Today, with Scott acting as the current president, Steinkamp’s still places an emphasis on family involvement. Like his predecessors, Scott’s son Mitch and his daughter Molly are currently involved in the family business and are looking forward to what Steinkamp’s can provide its community looking towards the future.
Throughout the 90’s and into present day, the business evolved. The treatment plant expanded to a regional enterprise, and equipment and apartment rentals were added to the business. Something had to give, and in the early 2000’s, the agricultural portion of the business was sold. Steinkamp’s stayed true to its roots however, and in 2010, expanded into Owensboro, Kentucky with a location that again catered mainly to contractors.
Aerial view of lumber yard and wood treatment facilities.